CHARLOTTE – WFAE announced the top five finalists in its Queen City PodQuest.
More than 31,000 people cast almost 100,000 votes among 340 entries during the public voting period. These five finalists will move on to the podcast mentoring phase. Afterward, the finalists will present their podcast pitch at the Queen City PodQuest finale event in May 2019, where a winner will be chosen.
The creators of the winning podcast pitch will have an opportunity to work with the WFAE team to develop their idea into a six- to eight-episode podcast series.
Learn more about Queen City PodQuest at www.wfae.org/queencitypodquest.
Finalists are as follows:
• Bicycling in the Queen City and Beyond: Whether you love it or hate it, bicycling is a hot topic in Charlotte. Hosts Ann Groninger and Jeff Viscount will discuss all aspects of it.
• Choose Our Own Adventure: Listeners of the show put forth the pop culture topics such as film, television, video games, comic books or anything in the world of entertainment. Produced by Darryl Mansel, Lesley Elsworth, Jermone Jackson and Brian Martin.
• Fresh Take on Education: Hosted by teachers Jennifer Chaffman and Sara Behnke, this podcast explores what works in education, both new ideas and tried-and-true best practices, from the point of view of those who are in classrooms on a day-to-day basis.
• Next Door Docs: Offers tangible and relatable guidance on medical questions while helping the local community navigate the complexities of the medical system. Produced by the EMGuidewire Team that’s composed of Emergency Medicine Faculty and Residents from the Carolinas Medical Center Emergency Medicine program.
• Work It: This podcast looks at people’s work – how work shapes their lives and their triumphs and setbacks. Produced by Stephanie Hale, Jill Bjers and Kevin Young.
WFAE plans to provide continued podcast education and resources, for those who did not make it to the top five round, but also for the Charlotte community at-large. The nonprofit public radio station will share those plans at the final PodQuest event in May.