Golden Ticket offers rare chance to see area sporting events
For the second consecutive year, area residents will have a chance to win “a sports enthusiast’s dream” as the Charlotte Sports Commission has opened the public Golden Ticket raffle.
Tickets cost $50 each.
The winner of the Golden Ticket raffle will receive tickets to every major sports event in the Charlotte area over the next year, including:
• Two Clubhouse and Hospitality tickets to the 2012 Chiquita Classic Nationwide Tour golf tournament at The Club at Longview in Weddington
• Two Premium tickets to a 2012 Carolina Panthers game
• Two 2012-13 Charlotte Bobcats season tickets
• Two 2012-13 Charlotte Checkers hockey season tickets
• Four 2013 Charlotte Hounds lacrosse season tickets
• Two 2013 Charlotte Knights baseball season tickets
• Two Lawn and Clubhouse tickets to the 2013 Wells Fargo Championship golf tournament
• Two Charlotte Eagles soccer season tickets
• Two 2013 Charlotte Motor Speedway season tickets
• Two zMAX Dragway season tickets
• Two 2012 Dr Pepper ACC Football Championship tickets
• Two Belk Bowl tickets
• Two CIAA basketball tournament ticket books
• Two 2013 ACC men’s basketball tournament tickets (Greensboro)
• Two 2013 Charlotte 49ers football season tickets
Proceeds from the Golden Ticket raffle will benefit the Charlotte Sports Commission.
Tickets are on sale now until Aug. 23 at 11:59 p.m. The drawing will be held on Aug. 24. To purchase tickets, visit www.charlottesports.org.
For more information, contact Chris Raynor of the Charlotte Sports Commission at 704-688-8167 or email@example.com
Meck Special Olympics hosts golf tournament
Special Olympics Mecklenburg County will host its inaugural golf tournament on Aug. 27 at The Golf Club at Ballantyne.
The tournament will feature two flights: one beginning at 7:30 a.m. and another at 1:30 p.m. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be provided, depending on each player’s selected tee time. Auction prizes and giveaways will be provided throughout the tournament, and each player will receive a goodie bag and an event T-shirt.
The tournament will have a Captain’s Choice format, and players will pick their balls up after reaching bogey on any hole. The cost to enter is $150 per person or $600 per foursome, and the event is open to golfers of all ages.
For more information, call Susan Doggett at 704-358-1935.
Covenant Day hires basketball coaches
Covenant Day has hired Wade Tapp as its boys basketball coach, and Zach Turner takes over the girls program.
Tapp replaces John Whitley and has spent the previous four seasons as the Lions’ boys JV coach. The Charlotte Christian graduate also is the assistant high school principal and a site director for Yes I Can Basketball.
Turner, who replaces Kory Bridges, is new to Covenant Day. Turner, who like Tapp is a former Charlotte Christian player, also played at the University of Tennessee. He’s been an assistant coach at Christian and a head coach at Seymour High in Tennessee.
Annual Links for Lupus golf tournament returns for 12th year
The 12th annual Links for Lupus charity golf tournament will take place on Aug. 27 at Cedarwood Country Club.
Individuals can register for a fee of $200 per person, and the cost for foursomes is $700. The shotgun-style start is scheduled for 12:30 p.m., and there will be an awards banquet and reception following the tournament at 5:30 p.m. Each participant will receive lunch and dinner, beverages during play and a team picture. Prizes will be awarded to the top three scorers.
In its 12 years, the tournament has raised more than $341,000 for LFA Piedmont Chapter, an organization that provides local education and support services to 15,000 people in the Charlotte area who are living with lupus.
For more information, call 704-716-5640 or send an e-mail to info@-lupuslinks.org.