EVANSTON, Ill. – The National Merit Scholarship Corporation announced 16,000 semifinalists, including several local names, in the National Merit Scholarship Program.
- Ardrey Kell High School – Ankit Jajoo, Amy Qu, Julianne Sinclair, Sadhana Suryadevara, Nikhil Tokala, Charles Yang and Alexander Zhang.
• Charlotte Catholic High School – Mary Polking, Connor Ruff and Matthew Weber.
• Charlotte Christian School – Joshua Roddy.
• Charlotte Country Day School – Jacob Morris and Adina Peck.
• Charlotte Latin School – Cecelia Berens, Andrew Egge, Cady Hammer, Alexander Harrison, Madeline Matthews and Lily Zheng.
- Myers Park High School – Niklas Bader, Leah Barnes, Lucy Cochran, Wilhelm Deschamps, Matthew Griffin, William Griffin, Sonia Kelly-Manning, Joshua Noonan, Leah Wallihan and Alexander Whitmire.
• Providence Day School – Ronak Bhagia, Adam Burke, Delaney Caldwell, Katlyn Gonzalez, Malkam Hawkins, Carey Leech, Benjamin Meyerson, Vaibhav Pachalla, Saajan Patel and Kaela Sanborn.
• Providence High School – Caleb Babin, Ian Bodenheimer, Caspar Caudill, Bansi Chhatrala
Jack Decker, Joseph Jegier, Kevin Lu, Rohan Muthukumar, Max Schoenbrun, Jackson Shawen, Claire Su, Neo Vasudeva, Kathleen Wang and Sunny Zhang.
• South Mecklenburg High School – Abigail Giles and Benjamin Stoller.
These seniors have an opportunity to compete for some 7,500 scholarships worth more than $32 million offered next spring. They had the highest scores on the 2016 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test.
Semifinalist must submit a detailed scholarship application, accounting for academics, service, employment and awards. They need recommendations, high SAT scores and an essay.
Winners will be announced from April to July.